Monday, April 9

Easter Monday or HAPPY DAY


I was often teased that I'd use any excuse to celebrate. I guess it's the "Pollyanna" in me (let's find a reason to be happy).

When you have small children in the home, you relish the giggles and smiles. You want them to be happy, so you spend the largest majority of your time and energy preoccupied with that concept. I remember once making a "Happy Day" cake for my girls, with the full understanding that sometimes you just can't wait for the next birthday.

I feel like my two daughters should have quite a few good childhood memories, and a varied assortment of family traditions. My own childhood memories and family traditions still provide a wealth of information for me... good feelings, points to ponder and amusement.. like that groovy Easter pic yesterday.

I don't know how they plan to use all this information, but I have faith they will figure that out. When they were growing up, our family time was consumed with all things adolescent girls deem life sustaining... the sleepovers, band and orchestra concerts, tennis and softball, ballet and jazz.... I was counting on raising well-rounded thinking young women.

See, that's the thing. We always hope that we have provided enough information, afforded enough opportunities, established the best morals and integrity...

That's how you show gratitude for the gift of a child, right?

4 comments:

Imperatrix said...

Sigh. Yes, that's what we try to do. The problem is, parents don't know if they're succeeded until the kids are grown up, so there isn't much chance to "fine tuen" as you go.

I just realized (yet again) this weekend how short our time with growing kids is.

Looking back on my own childhood, it's the regular days (like your Happy Days) that strike me as more memorable than the Big Days.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Well, the thing is, you'll also have good memories of your own. Price you pay for being a Mom. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, we always hope...

S said...

Yes. That's right. At least that is the GOAL.