Tuesday, November 4

Is There No Shame?

Not knowing if I was 40 hours or 20 this week, I prepared last weekend by doing all my homework for the coming week, catching up the laundry and most of the housecleaning. So what do I do with unexpected time off?


Trim the dog...



And settle in for a little light reading.

The Cosby book, Come On People, is wonderful. While the book's criticism may have been aimed at the irresponsibility of young black men, I don't believe the bad habits are isolated to any given race.. or gender, for that matter! I'm loving what he has to say:

We and the others in our generation weren't saints. We'll be first to admit that... But something called "parenting" had wormed its way into our heads from the time we were still in the womb, said to us If you get caught stealing it, you're going to embarrass your mother.
The voice didn't say You're going to get your butt kicked. We knew that already and expected that from experience. No, that inner voice said You're going to embarrass your mother. You're going to embarrass your family.
Today is election day and the city-girl will be home from school in about 30 minutes. She and I plan on tackling the local DMV to get her Virginia-legal.

After that, we're going to vote. This will be her first time! How lucky am I for being able to be a part of that?

And shame on you, if you don't go vote.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've voted and my girls really enjoyed the process.

Anonymous said...

And what a day it must feel like today!

linda said...

Voting is compulsory here. It was good to hear that so many American's turned out to have their say - they went because they wanted to and not because they had to. No matter who anyone votes for, you cannot deny what a significant day it was.