Saturday, May 16

What's Next, You Say?

"The goal of education is the creation and transmission of knowledge — not the creation and transmission of prestige."


I read an interesting article in the New York Times this morning and pulled this perfect-for-what-I-have-noticed quote.

An education is a wonderful thing, indeed. I finished school--finally--because I always felt bad because I hadn't finished. Unfinished business is the worse, don't you think?

It hangs over your head, keeps you up at night and shames you continually.

So I finished this. Hooray!

But never in a million years would I think anyone would be anything but ecstatic. What in the world was I thinking?

That nagging guilt over not finishing what we start, and the shame for not doing what needs to be done or what we know should be done--has transferred to others now.

I'm so sorry. I was obviously only thinking of myself.

3 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Congratulations, Mizmell! You worked very hard and you deserve much credit for accomplishing this. Now...off you go and do something fantastic! (For yourself and others).

Kat

dadwhowrites said...

It's brilliant! You should so celebrate it. And feel proud. And a little smug. And enjoy the sensation. I can't code a line in C++, personally. Next stop, C#!!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I agree, unfinished business is more exhausting than it should be.

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing!!!!!