Monday, September 18

Hell Freezes Over

"Discretion is being able to raise your eyebrow instead of your voice."

I lived in Texas in my previous life. I have been back in Virginia for almost 5 years now.

In fact, there have been numerous changes in my life in the past 5 years. My old friends in Texas would get a fit of the giggles if they caught a glimpse of "a day in the life."

My daily companions are four-legged. I live out in the boonies, so to speak. I can leave my keys in the car. I'd really have to think about where I've put the keys to the house. Nope, I don't lock the doors.

But the biggest change is probably that I've learned to (sometimes) keep my mouth shut. I'm learning to pick my battles, or better yet, recognizing the difference between a brush fire and a forest fire.

I've always admired those who could keep it all together so eloquently and never get ruffled. Ann Richards was that way (see last post). So is Bill Clinton.

Perhaps the path to this type of lifestyle is in doing the right thing... to provide the greatest good for the greatest number.

1 comment:

goldenlucyd said...

I've always admired Ann Richards for herspunk and style. I've resented her for her beauty--despite her heavy makeup and helmet hair. She was a Texan for sure---bigger than life and ready to tussle. She'll be missed.

I enjoyed youre reflections on learning to choose you battles. How true that is for me as well. When I think of the energy I wasted...

In any case, have a wonderful weekend!